Saturday, December 13, 2014

More training...


Note – this blog post was created over one week ago but I’m only posting it now due to technological difficulties. Enjoy.

The days are just packed!

We finally did some beekeeping stuff – yeeha! One evening we all visited hives while wearing space suites, veils and funny hats. There was no honey, but it was still cool to open hives, use the smoker and hear bees buzzing around. They were not as aggressive as I thought they would be. The important thing in bee-rearing is to stay calm even if you are stung (bees feel the agression and swarm around the attacker). We all survived our first encounter. Unfortunately, it was too dark to take pictures.

We also built beehouses from clay pots (one pot glues to another) and wood (Kenyuan top hive). I never thought of myself as a caprenter but I guess I’ve got this skill in me. I particularly enjoy sawing and hammering (hammer time!). I’m not good at measuring, but, as one saying on a Ghanaian truck states, “Susu Bibiri” – “Measure Something.” Sounds  like a good motto to me. A little side-note – cars, trucks and tro-tros here all have different sayings glued to their back windows. Some statements are religious (e.g. “God is Great,” “Allahu Akbar,” “Genesis”), some of them state drivers’ ethnic background, moods and attitudes in life (e.g. “Still Black,” “This Shal Pass,” (ibid.), “Good Wife," "Don't Talk") and some of them are just perplexing (like the above-mentioned statement).
We also had training on making pomade and candles from bees wax. Beekeepping is a very good income-generating activity, and doesn’t require too much investment (the hives can be cheaply constructed from local materials, and even the suites can be made from jute sacks).

And finally, we did a touristy thing and went to Upper East region to touch scared crocodiles and shop at the market in Bolga. Markets are a lot of fun because you can always get a discount if you bargain right. I had to remember the good old days at the Green Bazaar at home where prices could be slashed almost in half if you play your cards right. So, after some basic Twi and Ghanaian English, I’ve got a very nice hand-woven basket and a lot of delicious fruit for less than $6. Barganing is essential here, otherwise I don’t think I would have enough of my measly allowance to survive around here :)).



No comments:

Post a Comment