Monday, November 27, 2017

My Peace Corps service in songs

One of my colleagues wrote a great post about her service reflected by Disney songs, which can be found here. I loved this idea so much that I started thinking what songs reflect my service most accurately. Some songs I have listened to repeatedly, some of them I have not even thought of for a while, but here they are. Enjoy!

Toto's Africa was my go-to song when I was packing for Ghana. And maybe it is not geographically accurate (the song talks about Serengeti in East Africa, while Ghana is in the west), it is too 80s, too-too much, but I love it. Plus, I also do bless the rains --- rainy season is my favorite here because everything is so lush and cool and green!

Nico & Vinz - Am I Wrong is just beautiful (lyrically and visually), it inspired me to go for morning runs and made me think about life in general.

This song - Oye (Good is Good) -- was sang at all the churches in my village, and not only on Saturdays and Sundays :)). The local kids taught me the lyrics, and it improved my Twi, at least in terms of praises.

Another gospel song -- Joyce Blessing's Monko Mo Akyi -- will also make me remember my arrival in my village and numerous tro rides afterwards. Women gospel singers in Ghana are very popular, so dynamic, their spirits literally soar and their smiles can melt a heart of any stalwart agnostic, even mine.

Ok, so it seems life in Ghana is all about prayers... People pray before meetings, after meetings, on buses, on planes.... On one of my flights home a group of Catholic church members prayed for the safe flight and sang several hymns. This Madonna gem is perfect in so many ways... Including the fact that it was (and is) my go-to karaoke song at Republic.

Garth Brooks' Friends in Low Places is dedicated to my fellow hashers. One time a group of them visited me, and it was super-fun. We went for a jog in cocoa groves, ate instant mashed potatoes (a delicacy!!) and sang this song while drinking Club.

Finally, Ed Sheeran's - Bibia Be Ye Ye (All Will Be Well)--- should literally be an anthem for anyone living, working and volunteering in Ghana --- it summarizes the spirit of the country and its fun sides --  tro rides, spontaneous dancing parties and street food. Maybe a bit cheesy, yes, but this phrase is literally written on back of tros, so it must be true :)).

Enough for now. I love making play-lists, though, maybe there will be another one soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment