Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Habits

Well, well, well – looks like my time in Ghana finally comes to an end! I have been here nearly 3 years, and in about 3 months I will be wrapping up my service. This is all very exciting, scary, overwhelming and cathartic. I have a lot of thoughts and ideas of what to do next, lists of things I will and will not miss, and so on. One question I was particularly pondering on --- what habits will I retain after I leave Ghana?

Eating with my hands: when I was little eating with my hands was impolite and un-cultured – a real lady always used a fork. While in US, I discovered the finger-food culture --- french fries, sandwiches, chicken strips, quesadillas…. But never in my life have I thought I could learn to eat a hot soup with my hand (and enjoy it). But I did. I also learned to love fufu – a staple of Ghanaian cuisine. You either love it or hate it. I like everything about it – the feeling of fullness, the dipping of fufu morsel into a flavorful savory soup, the chewing of a goat skin. And that comes from a girl who came to Ghana during the Ebola scare who sanitized everything in her path and who was a glorified vegetarian... So, the habit of eating food with my hands (or better say, my palms) will stick around for a bit. I can already see myself immersing my palm into a bowl of salsa at a party and getting weird looks. Kafra (sorry)!

Finger-licking good.


Two-yard state of mind: while packing for Ghana, I was thinking ‘camping’. Swiss army knife, quick-dry towel, sturdy boots, travel-sized shampoos, Nalgene bottle and anything I laid my eyes on at REI and EasternMntSports were neatly packed in my orange duffel bag. Turns out most of things I could be lived completely without (or find a cheap alternative through recycling and reusing). If during my first 6 months I would take with me most of my gear to any tro trip (including toilet paper, Imodium, Crystal light packets), now it is literally just a two-yard, a toothbrush and change of clothes. Even before Ghana I was a light packer and a wanna-be minimalist, but the two-yard concept pushed me even more towards a no-stuff paradigm.

A two-yard is a just that – a two-yard piece of bright calico clothing that is sold everywhere. Women wrap babies with it, men use it as a towel and a shower curtain when they take a morning bath. It is turned into beautiful dresses and shirts by numerous tailors and dressmakers. I was given a two-yard by my home-stay mother almost immediately after I moved in (along with Charlie-watsies and a bar of soap – my welcome gifts). People use it when it is chilly in the evening, or raining, or too hot or dusty. Gradually it becomes your essential tool for living.

Two yards galore.

I wrap myself in a two yard at least twice a day --- in the morning and at night. It is my towel, my pajamas, and my yoga mat. I know that I will continue to use it in US, at least in the summer time. I will also continue the light packing idea ---- even as a Peace Corps volunteer without too much stuff I still felt I have too many things. My Swiss army knife will definitely find a new home.

Usage of energy – physical, mental, emotional, social, monetary.... Peace Corps service is not easy sometimes, so you had to prioritize whether or not to worry or to care about certain things – within reason. For example, I used to worry what my fellow trainees would think of me. Or what the staff may say of my project idea, or whether or not I will get harassed at a taxi station. This frame of thinking is changing --- I know that I cannot do whatever I please but I at least don’t obsess about things that haven’t happened yet. As one PC person said – “Do things first, ask for forgiveness later.” As for harassment, I now can brush off unwanted attention without even raising an eyebrow (well, maybe with a flick of a hand as to swat a pesky mosquito). What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger – for sure.

A balancing act - hanging out with volunteers and non-volunteers.

I also know when to push myself physically. If the 1st year was pretty physically draining (training, farming, running a marathon), the next 2 years were more relaxing (especially the last one, when I could chill in an air-conditioned space and eat leftovers from the fridge, ha). I do keep myself active and healthy but not to the point of total exhaustion. I also socialize with volunteers but only when I want to --- I do not feel this constant need to be surrounded with people from similar backgrounds all the time, but I like the fact that I live at a regional office when anyone can come anytime and keep me company.

The usage of energy became like a debit-credit system, a compensation for complete or incomplete actions: if I hike for several hours then I can also have a big meal. If I veg out all day – well, at least I can do some paperwork or listen to podcast. Ghana made me a budgeter ---- which brings memories of post-Soviet Kazakhstan when we could save several kopeks and choose – whether to go to a movie or buy a Snickers bar, or when our mom asked us to eat only half of a cutlet (because the other half could be used the next day, of course).I thought I was good with money here until I ran out and had to go into the bush to forage for food…

Overall, when I am back, I will continue to enjoy group jogs, hiking outdoors, biking, dining out, open mics and other things I’ve missed. But I think I will also be ok with…nothing. Nothing is happening tonight? That’s ok. Because something will happen tomorrow, and the balance of energy will come back.

Be an even-keeled chicken.





No comments:

Post a Comment