Friday, February 6, 2015

Groundhog Day - Ghana-style


Almost right after my nostalgic thoughts about urban life and good food, came one of my favorite days of the year – Groundhog Day (February 2nd). As many of you know, it was brought to the US by German immigrants, where a groundhog can “predict” whether or not spring would come early. But main reason I love this day is because it gives me a legitimate reason to watch one of my favorite movie with fantastic Bill Murray as Phil Connors, the embittered weather man, who has to re-live Groundhog Day in Punxsutawney over and over again. His reactions to this jinx are priceless: there is shock, anger, denial, recklessness, indulgence, depression, enlightenment, grief, and finally, acceptance and enjoyment of the same day over and over again by helping others, learning new skills (piano, ice sculpting, car repair etc.) and accepting life as it is.

OCCUPATIONAL HAZARD: In 'Groundhog Day,' Phil Connors hates his life and everyone in it. What career path has he chosen?


As I was watching this movie for the N-th time in my little cottage, I thought that my current situation is not unlike Phil’s: I am in a tiny village with a slow pace of life, where everybody knows each other. I tend to go through the same motions day after day: waking up, greeting people, going to farm, working on my garden, cooking dinner, reading a book, going to bed. But then, as in the movie, this sameness and feeling of being stuck can be, as Rita (Phil’s love interest) put “not a curse – it depends how you look at it.” It’s true: I’ve got two years to take a deep breath, look around and learn more about others and myself. I can read good books and learn a new trade. I can continue training so I could complete the Accra Marathon in September. I can ponder on my next steps in life – will I want to finally settle in and have a family, or will I continue to roam? Will I go to grad school or work for Peace Corps or another international development organization? Will I live in a humming city or a quiet town? As of now, I can take it all in and re-live the same day over and over again without feeling stuck or useless. Thanks, Phil.

No comments:

Post a Comment