Friday, October 3, 2014

The Final Countdown!

Three more days till the Great African Adventure begins! On one hand I’m very calm, but on another….The last month has been like a whirlwind. I travelled to five countries, spent quality time with my wonderful mom and brothers, met old friends, made new ones, laughed, cried, swam in a beautiful Issik Kul Lake, walked around Istanbul, jammed with a whole bunch of Russians at the KSP music fest, saw wonderful art exhibitions, danced at Robyn/Royksopp's concert, drank as much pumpkin beer as I could, faced my hidden sorrows and fears, took tons of pictures, shopped til I dropped at Trader’s Joe (gimme some cookie butter! :)), jogged, breathed, meditated, thought things over…. Man, and I’m not even in Ghana yet!

I’m going there with a clear and open mind. I’m prepared for the worst but hoping for the best. I will miss Boston with its lovely foliage. I will miss you, my friends. Please write to me and send post cards, photographs and back issues of New Yorker and Sun. Oh, and care packages will always be welcome! Anything that you think I may enjoy reading, writing on, doing crafts with, learning from, or eating would be awesome. Here is a list of things that I know I will greatly appreciate:

·         Cheese
·         Beer
·         Cookie butter
·         Books (fiction, non-fiction, sci-fi, fantasy, Russian lit, British lit, humor, magical realism, anything that you read and liked and want to share with me)
·         DVDs (comedy, sci-fi, drama, documentary, rom-com, any movie with JJ Feild, Colin Firth, George Clooney or Harrison Ford)
·         Gold Fish
·         Dry hummus mix
·         Clif bars
·         Guitar strings
·         Song books
·         Duct tape
·         Hand sanitizer
·         Tea Tree shampoo and face wash
·         Post-its
·         Pens
·         Puzzles, riddles and board games

And here is my address for at least the first three months of training (October-December):

Anastasia Bannikova, PCT
Peace Corps Ghana
PO Box 5796
Accra North, Ghana
West Africa







No comments:

Post a Comment